Thursday, August 13, 2015

SaChoom

2015 KTO Adventure on August 11


What we are doing:

Watching the full performance of SaChoom! Yes, this was one of the showcases we saw at Korea in Motion. So excited to see it all!


Where we are going:

My old stomping ground: Jongro 3-ga. I used to take Korean classes at the YBM here, so I know the area well. 

How to get there: there are several buses that go here, but if you are coming from far away like me, take the subway. Jongro 3-ga has 3 connecting lines: orange (line 3), purple (line 5), and dark blue (line 1). Once you arrive go out exit 15 and walk straight. Take a pit stop at Gong Cha (I will allows admit when I hrab a bubble tea). Keep walking straight, pass YBM, walk until the corner of a busy intersection (Burger King is on the corner), turn left (don't cross the street). The theatre will be there, easy to see, there is a Coffee Bean on the first floor. Get your tickets at the outside ticket booth before going up to the theatre. 


What we are wearing:

It's been one hot hot summer here in Seoul. I recently returned to Shoopen to purchase another pair of these super comfy shoes, this time in pink. I would recommend wearing shorts this summer, though I rarely do. For this performance I opted for minimal: black tee, denim jeggings, no accessories. 


What we are bringing:

No need to bring anything special. This performance was unique in the fact that the audience was allowed to photograph and record it (without flash). My sister usually brings her DSLR, but didn't because theatre performances usually say no. She was a bit disappointed that she didn't bring it. 

DOs and DON'Ts

DO bring your friends 

DON'T be late

DO take pictures and record video

DON'T use flash

DO participate and dance along

DON'T annoy the person next to you (I'm looking at you Dani! Hahaha jk)

DO take pictures with the dancers after the performance 




Performance Review:

I love this performance!!! I highly recommend it for anyone visiting Korea or even if you've lived here for years such as I have. It was a mix of storytelling, comedy, and dance. 


SaChoom is very good about audience participation. The first victim was this cute girl who was asked to do a shoulder shake or what I call the shimmy. She was a good sport about it. Throughout the performance the characters who called her on stage would mimic her and laugh at her. 


There was such a vast array of dance styles. My favorite was bboying, of course. 


At one point the strobe lights came on. And two dancers jumped across the stage in a way that made it appear that they were floating or flying. I really wish I would have gotten a video of it, it was amazing. 


There were three main characters of the story. We were taken on a journey through their lives told through dance. It was a fluid concept that showed off dance and acting. 


I really applaud this group of dancers and the production of SaChoom. It was very entertaining and I especially enjoyed the end when the entire audience stood up and danced along with them. 


It is the 11th anniversary of SaChoom, congratulations! It was a fun night and I especially felt a greater connection with other KTO supporters. The Minister of Tourism gave his thanks. He was sitting a few seats from me, and I'll have you know that he loved dancing ^_^ 

 
I had to get a selfie with this very expressive dancer. 


The main girl dancer and the emcee posed with my sister and I. He was a very funny guy. 


This is the underdog of the story, he was such a great dancer! Thanks SaChoom for doing an awesome job! And thank you KTO for always providing these kind of opportunities to continue to fall in love with Korea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment