Friday, May 22, 2015

5th Annual KAFLA Charity Walkathon

2015 KTO Adventure on May 17



What we are doing

Walking, walking, and walking (and some other fun stuff) all for a good cause: to help Nepal in this time of need.


We are also seeing cool cultural things like this gayageum performance. 

Where we are going:

Start/Finish line- Gwanghwamun Civil Park

How to get there:

1) Get your cute lil self to the subway.
2) Work your magic or subway app to transfer to the orange line (line 3).
3) You have to station options: Anguk or Gyeongbokgung and walk out exit 6 (yes, from both stations)
4) Head toward the front of Gyungbok Palace and the park is across the street.
5) If you get lost, ask a police officer (there are plenty in this area)
6) You can also walk from Gwanghwamun Station (purple line 5) exit 2.

What to see:


Gyungbok Palace: this is a must see if you're visiting Seoul. Once a year they open up the palace at night. I want to go soon!


Samcheongdong: this area of Seoul boasts quite an impressive hanook village (traditional Korean style houses). It also has many cafes and shops with super cute clothing and jewelry. 


What we are wearing:

Anything ending in -thon requires your trusty broken in tennies. Don't wear those brand new runners, you never know how they will rub your feet when you're covering this kind of ground. 



What we are bringing:

Since this was a walkathon I didn't want to carry much. Thankfully, card wallets attached to a lanyard is a popular thing in Korea. On the other hand what I brought home was so many prizes! Thanks to all the donors!


Our wonderful sponsor, the KTO donated chopstick and spoon sets. 


What we are eating:

This area is known for its cute and unique cafes. It also has a pretty good selection of restaurants. My sister and I had a hankering for one of Seoulites' favorites: Café Mamas


I would recommend it for anyone in the mood for good sandwiches and salads. 



What we are going to remember for next time

Sunscreen, sunscreen and sunglasses!

DOs and DON'Ts 

DO take pictures!


DON'T be loud or disrespectful. This is a residential neighborhood. 

DO drink plenty of water.

DON'T litter. Yes, I know bins are difficult to come by but bear the burden to keep the city clean. 

DO eat yammy food! (Always!)

Amanda's thoughts:

The day was great! One of the most fun times I've had in awhile. Personally I love walking and even more exploring. With the exception of my pretty little sunburn the day was perfect including my sun induced nap after the event. 

It also reminded me of all the places I want to return to and spend more time at. This area is great for dates (even friend dates, if your single like me).

Thanks to KAFLA, I had a great time with other Seoul residents. There was adventure, entertainment, prizes and all for a great cause! Remember to keep Nepal in your prayers!


No comments:

Post a Comment