Monday, March 11, 2013

White Day

This Thursday is the holiday known to Korea as White Day, March 14. While girls in America are used to being treated to roses and chocolate on February 14, Valentine's Day is the reverse in Korea when men are the recipients of these gifts. A month later, men and boys ^^ have the chance to show their love and affection to their ladies. To many, this holiday is significant and to forget or not live up to expectation can be the ending of the relationship. To others, it is yet another reminder of their singleness.

Heart-shaped Scandinavian waffles
While I do not have a boyfriend, I am looking forward to this day. Reason 1, I have a date with some of my students. Reason 2, we are eating ddukbokki! Reason 3, in a month I can celebrate Black Day, haha.

What is Black Day? Well Korea has cleverly covered all it's bases. February 14, a holiday for men in a relationship; March 14, a holiday for women in a relationship; and April 14, a day for singles to eat Jajangmyeong 자장면(black noodles).


And yes, I love jajangmyeong, its delicious! While I don't need a special day to celebrate my relationship status, it is a great excuse to grab friends and have a great time together. Enjoy the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment